Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Age More Gracefully By Lifting Weights

Research shows that between the ages of 30 and 50, we are likely to lose 10 percent of the total muscle in our body.  By the time we are 60 that percentage will double.

To make matters worse, it's likely that lost muscle is replaced by fat over time, according to a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.  It was found that even people who maintained the same body weight for 38 years lost 3 pounds of muscle and added 3 pounds of fat per decade.  Not only does this make us look flabby, it increases our waist size.  This is because 1 pound of fat takes up 18 percent more space on our body than 1 pound of muscle.
 
I'm sure most of us can attest to the above.  I know I can!  When I hit my 30's I was shocked when I gained about 17 pounds and couldn't fit into most of my clothes.  After being in denial for a few years, I decided to hire a personal trainer.  That's when I discovered how much I enjoyed exercising and lifting weights.  Also, if I was going to age gracefully I needed to make lifting weights a regular part of my life.

I just recently turned 39 and am more determined than ever to continue lifting weights so I can age gracefully.  Will you join me?

Contact me today for your free consultation.

Tammy Foxx
tammy@tammyfoxx.com
415.317.6827
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment